Sunday, January 22, 2012

Library Haul: Poltergeists & Prohibition

It's time for a look at my Library Haul, the tower of goodies I picked up during my weekly trip to the libraries (TL, ML, and CL). Sideways are borrowed, upright are purchased used from library Friends.

Here is this week's haul:


Highlights:
  • Merlin Season 3 arrived! Time for a medieval magic marathon.
  • Saw a PBS promo for Prohibition and thought it looked interesting. I need more history in my life - I hear one can learn stuff from it, or rot like that.
  • Brought home practically ML's entire ghost section (bottom half of the pile). Mostly juvenile books. When in doubt, start with the kids books.
  • I put I Don't Want to Kill You on hold before reaching the disturbing Chapter 11 of Mr. Monster, so I may take it back unread and wait a while before tackling the final (and apparently most creepy) book in the series. As it was I needed a good year-long buffer between Books 1 and 2.
  • I picked up the essays of Descartes, which most of you might find hard to believe. Heck, I find it hard to believe. But I read about him (in a "knowledge for idiots" kind of book) and thought it might be interesting to read his exact conclusions. We'll see if I can actually understand any of it though. :\
  • Discovered I didn't have a copy of Emma and found a good one at TL. How could I have called my book collection anywhere near well-rounded without one?
So what did you pick up on your last trip to the library?

2 comments:

  1. I love your library hauls! I need to see more Merlin. I have it on Netflix but I'm not too far in yet. (season 2 I think)

    I love the title "knowledge for idiots". *chuckles* I haven't read Descartes so if you learn something from it, pass it on. And Emma is a definite win.

    Last time at my library I had to order almost everything (about 11 books on my TBR) and so I have to wait. *sighs* They DID have Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters, though, and Spiderwick Chronicles, and Specials, which I haven't read yet. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked "The Next Three Days." Good choice.

    ReplyDelete