Saturday, October 4, 2014

Small Screen Review (9/28-10/4)



I watch quite a bit of telly. More than I should, really. So since I watch as much television as I read books, I thought I should "review" what I watch each week, both television and movies (I only watch movies on DVD at home - long story). Nothing fancy, just a few sentences about what I thought of what I watched. (I'll try to avoid spoilers, but no promises.) Comment below with your thoughts on the shows!

THIS WEEK

Television: A few more new shows to try.

Movies: Another sequel recap and a cult classic.


TELEVISION

PREMIERES

Selfie: Amy Pond was my favorite Doctor Who companion, so there were serious flails for this one. And it's a pretty decent show! #allin

A to Z: Was on the fence going in, but I didn't even watch half of it. Meh.

NEW SHOWS

Gotham: Interesting but I'm already starting to lose interest. It's kind of slow. Alas.

</Scorpion>: This is turning out to be quite a good show! Hope it lasts.

Forever: Favorite show this season, no contest.

CONTINUING SHOWS

The Paradise: A favorite British drama back for another season. Not to be confused with Mr. Selfridge, which was just not as good (we didn't even make it through the first season). A few new characters and some interesting new twists - looking forward to the drama.

Miss Marple: I forgot to mention this one last week! Another 3-episode season of one of my favorite mystery ladies.

Once Upon a Time: It's back. Again. And this time they've pulled it the newest of the new and the oldest of the old. But seriously, Frozen? I'm struggling to swallow it.

Castle: It's back! And I'm not impressed. There were so many ways they could've taken this, but they took a pretty boring road for me. If you're going to give him amnesia, go all the way.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: I NEEDS MORE WARD. But otherwise, it's starting to settle into another excellent season.

Person of Interest: Loved this episode! The concept of following hidden clues in random street art and lost dog posters is a favorite of mine. I wonder who had the "computer lab in an abandoned subway car" idea first, though - POI or The Amazing Spider-Man 2?

Bones: TBD. (It's just too much to be able to watch in a week. Expect at least one of these each post.)


MOVIES

RE-WATCH

The Princess Bride (library): I recently finished reading The Accidental Highwayman (review to come soon), and as it purported to be "for fans of The Princess Bride" I thought I'd give the movie a re-watch so I could agree with conviction. It was a lot better than I remembered - and a lot shorter!

Fantastic Four (library): We saw the sequel on television last month and couldn't remember how they acquired their powers. The answer was something none of us remembered.


So that's it for this week! What did you watch?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I knew that you watch Once! That's the only show I watch. It will be interesting to see how Frozen goes... it could be okay, or it could be horrible. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we discussed it a bit last season, but one chats with so many people about so many things on Twitter who really knows. ;) I agree, Frozen could really go either way, but so far I'm sadly not impressed. I'm still with the show mainly for Rumple/Belle, so I'm impatiently waiting for us to dig into Rumple's new plot thread!

      Delete