Thursday, February 5, 2015

Review: Tuesdays at the Castle (Jessica Day George)

Tuesdays at the Castle (Castle Glower #1)
Title: Tuesdays at the Castle
Series: Castle Glower #1
Author: Jessica Day George
Publisher:  Bloomsbury
Release Date: October 25, 2011
Genre: Middle Grade Fantasy Adventure
Content Rating: Middle Grade (scary situations, some violence)
Format Read: Paperback (purchased)
Find It OnGoodreads
Summary:

Tuesdays at Castle Glower are Princess Celie's favorite days. That's because on Tuesdays the castle adds a new room, a turret, or sometimes even an entire wing. No one ever knows what the castle will do next, and no one-other than Celie, that is-takes the time to map out the new additions. But when King and Queen Glower are ambushed and their fate is unknown, it's up to Celie, with her secret knowledge of the castle's never-ending twists and turns, to protect their home and save their kingdom. 

*          *          *

In a Sentence
: A lighthearted, magical and exciting story about a sentient castle and a brave royal family that I absolutely loved and can't believe it took me this long to read!

This book was a Mary Poppins for me: practically perfect in every way. Why?

1. A thrilling story. For a thin book it was packed with twists and turns and lots of action! I barely put it down in the less than two days I read it, and the last few chapters especially had me on the edge of my seat.

2. A sentient castleA magic castle that moves and creates and changes rooms at will? Two words: Dream. Setting. Because of the castle alone I'm shocked I didn't read this sooner - magic is my thing, but magical buildings are pure catnip for me. Now, if Castle Glower can just give me a library...

3. Celie. Eleven year-old main character Celie was quite the capable young lady, which made her an exciting heroine to follow and root for, but she was also realistic in her childlike limitations and eccentricities. When she spent a day running around the Castle herding servants, escaping bad guys, and hauling around a heavy basket, she collapsed in the end. Sometimes we can think of children as having unlimited energy, or at least as much energy as an adult in tense situations, but after running themselves ragged they tend to drop - and usually right where they stand. Celie was really no different and I found her portrayal, and the portrayal of her siblings as well, refreshing and relatable.

4. The sibling relationships. I mostly grew up a single child, so I really don't know what it's like to have siblings. From what I gather it's a bit of a love-hate relationship, but most books I've read depict it heavily to one side or the other. In this book, Celie is the youngest, with an older sister and brother, and I was happy that while they did have their problems with each other they put them aside and banded together to take care of each other and the Castle. But most importantly, the older siblings listened to Celie! They didn't put down her ideas, ignore her, or mistrust anything she said. While those of you with siblings may consider this unrealistic, I prefer my family stories with strong ties of trust. 

5. It’s a series! There are two more books in the Castle Glower series already released (2: Wednesdays in the Tower, and 3: Thursdays with the Crown), with a fourth to come this fall. The end of this book wrapped up a little fast and left some unanswered questions, so I’m excited to find out more about the Castle and continue the further adventures of the Glower royal family!

Conclusion: With its easy writing, exciting story and relatable characters, this book was a spectacular read that I highly recommend not only for kids but anyone who enjoys quick fantasy adventures with strong family bonds and magical settings!

For Fans Of: Diana Wynne Jones

Rating
5 out of 5 Scribbles


No comments:

Post a Comment