Wednesday, September 28, 2011

WWW Wednesday: Manga Madness

It's also time for WWW Wednesday from Should Be Reading. The three W's:

What are you currently reading?
What did you recently finish reading?
What do you think you will read next?



I am currently reading Kamisama Kiss Volume 1 by Julietta Suzuki. Or should I say, re-re-re-reading. It's one of my favorite manga (Japanese comics) series of all time  - Julietta Suzuki is a master storyteller. It's about a human girl who accidentally becomes the diety of a local shrine and inherits a grouchy fox demon as her servant (who she, of course, falls for). Adorable characters, a fun story, and lots of laughs. A definite must if you read manga, and a great series to start with if you don't!


I just finished reading 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson. It was a pain to finish. Long story short, the MC (whose name escapes me - that's how memorable she was) was flat and boring and halfway through the book she just ruined the whole travel experience with her dour outlook. To me, the settings and letters were the actual MCs, and whenever the human MC got in the way I was like "Down in front! Down in front!" But she never moved, therefore ruining the read for the rest of us. Needless to say, I have no idea if I will be reading the sequel, although I think I'll give it a try simply on the hope that Maureen has learned how to craft characters by now and I'll be able to understand what's-her-name a little better.


Next I will be reading Kamisama Kiss Volume 2  by Julietta Suzuki. Really, I plan to read all the volumes I have today (4, to be exact). This series is one of my comfort-reads, and on a crappy day like today I can really use it. And Volume 5 comes out next Tuesday - woohoo! XD

So what's your reading stack look like?

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to look into Kamisama Kiss! I always wanted to try a manga, but the section is just so overwhelming! (And colorful) I thought about DeathNote, but I don't know. If it's anything like the movie, I'd want something a little more cheery.

    And non-manga, I really want to read the original X-men comics. =]

    Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete