Friday, December 13, 2019

The #FridayReads Review (12/13/19)



Welcome to The #FridayReads Review, a regular Friday segment where I share what I've been reading the past week, and what I'm planning to read next! Want to join the Friday fun? Post your own #FridayReads Review and leave the link in the Comments below, or just Comment with what you've been reading!


>> CURRENTLY READING <<
Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 3The Writer's Guide to Creating a Science Fiction Universe

Kamisama Kiss vol. 3 by Julietta Suzuki (PBK)
I just can't seem to get interested in novels this month, so manga it is! This is a particularly favorite series by a particularly favorite manga author, and I'm excited to binge the entire thing straight through - I've previously only read it volume by volume as they released. Currently at the beginning and feeling so nostalgic. It's been nine years this month since I started reading it - almost a decade! Where does the time go...? Anyway, I'm hoping to generate a series review from the experience, so be on the lookout for it early next year!

Although this was written back in the '90s and is therefore rather out of date in some scientific areas, I'm learning a ton about logical space worldbuilding and generating mounds of ideas for several SF books I'm currently working on. It's also made me curious about what space science does look like nowadays, and I'm really enjoying the further research that curiosity has encouraged! Moral: never discount "out of date" reference materials.


>> ON HOLD <<
Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
Cress by Marissa Meyer (PBK)
As thrilling as this book is, I think I burned out on the series trying to binge the entire thing and am seriously struggling to keep reading. (Apparently I am not the binge type when it comes to novels.) I'm two-thirds through though and determined to finish it soon!


>> JUST FINISHED <<
Twinkle Stars, Vol. 5
Twinkle Stars vol. 5 by Natsuki Takaya (PBK)
4 Stars. An emotionally charged teen romance of first love and familial angst from the author of the wildly popular series, Fruits Basket. It had lots of tears but ultimately hope and happiness, and despite all the used tissues I really quite enjoyed it. Review to come. 


>> [POSSIBLY] READING NEXT <<
(subject to change with my ever-shifting reading whims)
Emma, Vol. 1
Emma Omnibus vol. 1 by Kaoru Mori (HBK)
I adore her Bride's Story series and discovering the omnibus editions of this older series at the library so it's finally time to binge it!


So what are you reading this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment