Friday, May 3, 2013

Last Month I Discovered...Postal Dispair

"Discovery" is my 2013 Word for the Year, 
so at the end of each month I look back to reflect on what I discovered.

In April I discovered... the Post Office did away with personal Delivery Confirmation tracking labels! When trading, most want a Delivery Confirmation number so they can track their book - and so they can feel more secure that there actually is a book on its way. Usually, one has to make a trip to the Post Office for this, but I was lucky enough to be able to use special lime green labels from work! Until we ran out. I tried to order more online, but there were only different, white labels - and they didn't seem to work when I used one (talk about a freak-out when I discovered this mid-shipment). Turned out they are only scanned when the package is physically delivered to the recipient - no tracking it along its path. I inquired at the Post Office as soon as possible about the lime green labels, and was informed they got rid of personal DC tracking - unless you physically come into the PO for it! So it looks like I'll be spending a lot more time in POs now... T-T

Further Things I Discovered Last Month:
  • Reviewing Is About Trial and Error: I'm still learning the best way to review for me personally, along with what exactly I should be noting in my reviews. This month I especially learned I have to fill in my Characters section immediately, or risk having to read the book over again! Needless to say, I'm relying on my paper review forms more than ever now.
  • My DNFs Come In Threes: Before I started reviewing, I would start and pass on many, many books at a time before finding one that was truly worth reading. Now that I review, I try not to DNF (Did Not Finish) a book unless it really would be a true torture to read. But while there have been some really good reads this year, there have also been some horrific ones as well. And I've discovered that when I have one bad apple, two more always follow. Talk about discouraging. T-T Thankfully this usually happens with good reads as well, so I end up with blocks of good and bad books. Right now I'm back on a good streak, with two books so far. Here's hoping for a record breaker!

So what did you discover last month?

1 comment:

  1. I came across your blog somehow on Twitter and I love it! I saw that you were close to 70 followers so I am now following you via GFC!

    I love this post. I agree with you about reviewing being all about trial and error. I can never seem to get it just right.

    Kay @ It's a Book Life

    ReplyDelete