Friday, December 2, 2016

The #FridayReads Review (12/2/16)



Welcome to The #FridayReads Review, a regular Friday segment where I share what I've been reading the past week, and what I'm planning to read next! Want to join the Friday fun? Post your own #FridayReads Review and leave the link in the Comments below, or just Comment with what you've been reading!


>> CURRENTLY READING <<
The Shadow Society  (The Shadow Society #1)
The Shadow Society by Marie Rutkoski (ARC)
Although it began with the extremely overused "girl who appears normal but has a dark secret is drawn to a new mysterious boy at school" opening, after some rather shocking violence and alternate world twists it has turned out to be a pretty good read with engaging intrigue and a strong female lead. Currently halfway through and quite enjoying it.


>> JUST FINISHED <<
Caraval
Caraval by Stephanie Garber (ARC)
2 StarsAlthough I did enjoy the world and game reminiscent of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, there was way too much description, Scarlett was too reluctant and overthought everything to the point of frustration, and I never truly felt the sisterly bond. While the mystery of Julian was intriguing, after way too many switchbacks I lost interest before the final conclusion, and while the end was satisfying for the most part it left me feeling disappointed and a little gypped. Review to come.


>> [POSSIBLY] READING NEXT <<
(subject to change with my ever-shifting reading whims)
The Great Hunt (Eurona Duology, #1)
The Great Hunt by Wendy Higgins (ARC)
I have both books in the duology so I think I'll give it a try!


So what are you reading this week?

1 comment:

  1. I am super pumped about all three of those books! I have Caraval sitting on my TBR pile and I just ordered the Great Hunt from the book outlet!

    Great post!

    Happy Reading :)

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete