Friday, December 9, 2016

The #FridayReads Review (12/9/16)



Welcome to The #FridayReads Review, a regular Friday segment where I share what I've been reading the past week, and what I'm planning to read next! Want to join the Friday fun? Post your own #FridayReads Review and leave the link in the Comments below, or just Comment with what you've been reading!


>> CURRENTLY READING <<
Countdown
Countdown by Michelle Rowen (PBK)
Finally picked this up as inspiration for Project P edits, but it turned out to be not quite what I expected. It was pretty interesting and engaging to start, but now halfway through I'm rather tired of the main character's slowly lowering intelligence in the face of her slowly elevating mental powers, which I had not anticipated and feel kind of ruin the thriller story. Currently struggling to maintain interest.


>> JUST FINISHED <<
The Shadow Society  (The Shadow Society #1)
The Shadow Society by Marie Rutkoski (ARC)
4 StarsI wasn't impressed with Winner's Curse so I didn't expect much of this earlier work, but it was surprisingly quite good! Although it began with the extremely overused "girl who appears normal but has a dark secret is drawn to a new mysterious boy at school" opening, after some rather shocking violence and alternate world twists it turned out to be an exciting read with engaging intrigue and action and a really strong female lead. I even rather liked the romance, which is very rare for me. Review to come.


>> DNF <<
Dream a Little Dream (The Silver Trilogy, #1)
Dream a Little Dream by Kerstin Gier (ARC)
DNF at Page 37. Opened with too much normal living (not even a hint of the magic to come) and too many character introductions (I couldn't keep anyone straight) for too long. The writing was a bit dense (which admittedly can happen with translations), the main character read younger than I believe she was supposed to be, I really can't stand selfish parents, and I just couldn't find enough interest in the story to keep going. Might just be my current mood, but I'm going to pass. Other dream fantasy lovers would probably really enjoy it though, if they don't mind a probably 50+ page wait for the fantasy part to begin. 


>> [POSSIBLY] READING NEXT <<
(subject to change with my ever-shifting reading whims)
Black Butler, Volume 22
Black Butler vol. 22 by Yana Toboso (PBK)
Finally got my hands on this! Hopefully this volume will finally finish up the latest plot arc.


So what are you reading this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment