Friday, April 3, 2020

The #FridayReads Review (4/3/20)



Welcome to The #FridayReads Review, a regular Friday segment where I share what I've been reading the past week, and what I'm planning to read next! Want to join the Friday fun? Post your own #FridayReads Review and leave the link in the Comments below, or just Comment with what you've been reading!


>> CURRENTLY READING <<
The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1)
The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon (PBK)
Re-read. Randomly decided to give this another read for review. According to my original notes, I went into it the first time knowing very little but it was nothing like what I expected. This time, aside for a few vague recollections, I'm going into it rather blind again so I'm prepared to be surprised. So far the mass of fantastical terms and acronyms has been a little overwhelming and a lot to keep straight, but I'm intrigued enough to continue. I made it through once, I can do it again, right? 


>> DNF <<
Ashlords
Ashlords by Scott Reintgen (ARC)
DNF at Chapter 2. Read the 1st chapter but was so SO confused by a vast lack of world-building description and clarification of terms. This made the story really difficult to absorb - I had to re-read several paragraphs multiple times but STILL didn't understand and had to push on despite my disorientation. I can appreciate minimal detail, but trying to process whatever this fantasy-meets-Old West-meets-dystopian mashup is without more setting and magic detail made for an extremely frustrating read. Lower reviews on Goodreads say much of the world is never really expanded on, so given my Chapter 1 exasperation I think I'm sadly going to pass on the rest.


>> JUST FINISHED <<
Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side
2.5 Stars. Re-read. This was a favorite of mine back during the YA vampire craze, but wow it was not what I remembered. Did I really enjoy such unhealthy relationships when I was younger? Hopefully I'll be able to review, but I'm so confused atm.


>> [POSSIBLY] READING NEXT <<
(subject to change with my ever-shifting reading whims)
Tweet Cute
Tweet Cute by Emma Lord (PBK)
Would be reading this one now except for a sudden urge to read The Bone Season. Think I'll read it next, though - I've been looking forward to it for a while!


So what are you reading this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment