Friday, June 5, 2020

The #FridayReads Review (6/5/20)



Welcome to The #FridayReads Review, a regular Friday segment where I share what I've been reading the past week, and what I'm planning to read next! Want to join the Friday fun? Post your own #FridayReads Review and leave the link in the Comments below, or just Comment with what you've been reading!


>> CURRENTLY READING <<
Two Flowers for the Dragon, Vol. 1
Two Flowers for the Dragon by Nari Kusakawa (PBK)
After a thoroughly enjoyable 5-star novella (see below) I just couldn't get into any other novels, so it's back to re-reading my manga collection for review! Kusakawa is a favorite author I have yet to spotlight so I'm hoping to put her on your radar soon. This unfortunately incomplete fantasy series is about a girl who can turn into a dragon and the two boys vying for her heart.


>> JUST FINISHED <<
All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1)
All Systems Red by Martha Wells (PBK)
4.5 Stars. Do not be fooled, as I was for way too long, by the "Murderbot" name and assume this is the story of a robot on a killing spree. It's not. All Systems Red was a quick and engrossing sci-fi survival thriller with a surprising main character: a shy and emotionally stunted but capable human/robot-esque hybrid that calls itself Murderbot but is really protective and caring in its own way. Wells pulls off the genderless MC flawlessly, and its awkward personality made it such a sympathetic and relatable character. This is exactly the story I've been looking to read for several years now, so much so I've been trying (and so far failing) to write something similar on my own. Finally I saw one too many rave Murderbot reviews go by and decided to give it a reluctant try, and after devouring this first adventure in half a day I am now scrambling to get my hands on the next one! Review to come.


>> [POSSIBLY] READING NEXT <<
(subject to change with my ever-shifting reading whims)
Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
Artificial Condition by Martha Wells (HBK)
I loved the first book (see above) so despite it being hardcover I'm eager to read this sequel! 


So what are you reading this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment