Friday, July 24, 2020

The #FridayReads Review (7/24/20)



Welcome to The #FridayReads Review, a regular Friday segment where I share what I've been reading the past week, and what I'm planning to read next! Want to join the Friday fun? Post your own #FridayReads Review and leave the link in the Comments below, or just Comment with what you've been reading!



>> CURRENTLY READING <<
The Way of the Househusband, Vol. 3
The Way of the Househusband vol. 3 by Kousuke Oono (PBK)
I've burned out on novels for a bit, so this week I picked up a pile of new manga from the library! New volumes in this hilarious yakuza-turned-househusband series are always a treat, and as usual it's proving one explosive snort after another. A yakuza parody sounds like an oxymoron, but that's what makes it so very funny as absolutely nothing is taken seriously and the common Japanese gangsta attributes are exaggerated to comic effect. Highly recommend the series for a mixing bowl of laughs.


>> JUST FINISHED <<
Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
Network Effect by Martha Wells (HBK)
2.5 Stars. Disappointing. The action and movement were unusually described and a serious struggle to follow, Murderbot acted like a petulant teenager who went about whinging and generally being an arsehole (especially in the first half of the book, ugh), and with so many extra pages the story took its time to walk us through every single bulletpointed and checklisted step of their "adventure." What I understood of the action was engaging though, and when Murderbot was too busy being violent to think about his emotions he was generally enjoyable. And I really liked Three. I'll definitely be giving the next novella a try, but this book is currently vying with Book 2 for least favorite of the series.



>> [POSSIBLY] READING NEXT <<
(subject to change with my ever-shifting reading whims)
A Witch's Printing Office, Vol. 1
A Witch's Printing Office vol. 1 by Mochinchi & Yasuhiro Miyama (PBK)
Next on my manga pile is the start of a new series that I have no idea what it's about but printing + witch (magic) = a must-try!


So what are you reading this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment