Friday, August 16, 2019

The #FridayReads Review (8/16/19)



Welcome to The #FridayReads Review, a regular Friday segment where I share what I've been reading the past week, and what I'm planning to read next! Want to join the Friday fun? Post your own #FridayReads Review and leave the link in the Comments below, or just Comment with what you've been reading!


>> CURRENTLY READING <<
Zero Repeat Forever (The Nahx Invasions, #1)
Zero Repeat Forever by G.S. Prendergast (ARC)
Felt like a sci-fi read and this intrigued me with its mystery. Although it is an alien invasion it's at its core a survival story, which I tend to struggle with due to them being more quiet tension than action. The characters and content have been more crude than I prefer, but I'm just interested enough in the mystery of the aliens to probably finish. Currently about 40% in.


>> JUST FINISHED <<
Shadow and Bone (Grisha Verse, #1)Poison or Protect (Delightfully Deadly, #1)

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (PBK)
3 Stars. Second read was sadly not as good as I remembered from my 2012 read. It began strong with eloquent writing, an exotic setting, and engaging magic, but the long trek was dull and Alina was too simple a character for such an epic story. I re-read this with plans to finally finish the trilogy, but now I'm debating if I want to continue the series at all. Review to come.

Poison or Protect by Gail Carriger (PBK)
3 Stars. I enjoyed getting to know Preshea better, and Gavin was the sweetest. I was disappointed that the mystery element I perceived wasn't one, though - I was so sure the assassin was one of their house party and got excited sussing them out, but it turned out there was no mystery element after all. Also, the sex was way too heavy and descriptive for asexual me. Still, a quick and interesting Parasolverse read with some revealing cameos.


>> [POSSIBLY] READING NEXT <<
(subject to change with my ever-shifting reading whims)
Love in Focus Vol.1
Love in Focus vol. 1 by Yoko Nogiri (PBK)
Getting this first in a new series from the library today! Hope it proves engaging.


So what are you reading this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment