Monday, June 1, 2015

Review: The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy (Sam Maggs)

The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Girl Geeks
Title: The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy
Series: standalone
Author: Sam Maggs
Publisher: Quirk Books
Release Date: May 12, 2015
Genre: Adult Entertainment
Content Rating: Older Teen (some language, innuendo)
Format Read: Hardcover (publisher)
Find OnGoodreads
Purchase OnAmazon | B&N | Book Depository
Summary:

Fanfic, cosplay, cons, books, memes, podcasts, vlogs, OTPs and RPGs and MMOs and more—it’s never been a better time to be a girl geek. The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy is the ultimate handbook for ladies living the nerdy life, a fun and feminist take on the often male-dominated world of geekdom. With delightful illustrations and an unabashed love for all the in(ternet)s and outs of geek culture, this book is packed with tips, playthroughs, and cheat codes for everything from starting an online fan community to planning a convention visit to supporting fellow female geeks in the wild.

*          *          *

Review copy provided by publisher for an honest review. Thank you, Quirk Books!

In a SentenceA fun, quick read and resource on geek girl culture, conventions & cosplay, and feminism.

I've been a fangirl for almost two decades now, but in all that time I've never really explored the fandom aspect. Aside from attending some conventions (local and national) I really haven't taken part in the collective - online or in person. Despite my lone fangirl status though, fandom does interest me, but as one apart from the fandom I sometimes don't quite understand all the lingo. So when I had the opportunity to review this "handbook for girl geeks" (thank you, Quirk Books!), I jumped at the chance to broaden my fangirl knowledge.

This book covers a wide range of fandoms in a wide range of locations - from entertainment to internet to in person. Highlights include whole sections on fanfiction (where to find it and how to write it), how to behave online (and how to handle those who misbehave), and there's a whole chapter on conventions that covers all the bases: choosing your con, how to prepare and what to do (and what to pack - very important!), and of course tips and tricks for cosplaying. Add in its fangirl-speak and fanfiction glossaries along with field guides to fandoms and internet kingdoms, and The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy is a real geek girl gem! Loner me even learned how to be a better fangirl, how to connect with other fangirls, and how to convert potentials to the cause.

The last chapter on feminism was interesting and eye-opening. I've always considered myself a feminist of sorts, but apparently I never really knew what it truly meant. Sam explained it perfectly and, although the whole book was rather empowering, this chapter took it to a whole other level. After reading this book cover to cover, I can now say with certainty and pride that:

I'm a fangirl, a feminist, and a force to be reckoned with.

While it will definitely need updating in a few years, as most resource handbooks do, I can see this book evolving and expanding into something no respectable fangirl can live without.

My Only Complaint: I would've liked the glossaries at the back of the book (or perhaps the front) instead of mixed in - I needed the fangirl-speak glossary long before it came and had to Google four words before stumbling upon it.

Conclusion: Whether you need a little help being a better fangirl (and understanding the lingo) like me, want to discover fandoms other than your own, or are already a master fangirl and just want to compare notes with the amazing Sam Maggs, I definitely recommend giving this fun, quick resource a read! It would also make an excellent gift for the other fangirls in your life. No matter the fandom, you really can't go wrong with this book.


Scribble Rating
4 of 5 Scribbles


No comments:

Post a Comment