Sunday, October 11, 2015

Small Screen Review (10/5/15-10/10/15)



Back for the 2015 fall lineup, it's Small Screen Review!!

I watch quite a bit of telly. More than I should, really. So since I watch as much television as I read books, I thought I should "review" what I watch each week, both television and movies (I only watch movies on DVD at home, long story). Nothing fancy, just a few sentences about what I thought of what I watched. (I'll try to avoid spoilers, but no promises.) Comment with your thoughts on the shows!




This Week's Best Episode
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

NEW SHOWS

Blindspot: Wasn't as impressed with this episode. And the mystery is already starting to tangle, which I never like. Starting to lose interest.

Heroes Reborn: Although I like the turn Chuck's character has taken, most of the story and characters have been done before and the basic plot has been overdone to death. Got bored halfway through this episode and now I'm seriously pondering dropping it next week. So sad.

Last Man Standing: Despite character confusion, this continues to be very funny. And the feminism thread this week was interesting.

Limitless: Not quite as good as last week's episode, but still entertaining. The new twist should prove interesting, although I personally don't feel the show needed it at this juncture. Hopefully the new "jobs" will only come up occasionally and not every week.

The Muppets: Not quite as funny as the previous episodes, but this continues to entertain. I was chatting TV with a co-worker this week and when this show came up my boss actually entered the conversation to see if it was worth watching (she rarely watches television). Needless to say I highly recommended it.

The Player: Another thrilling ride! The wife mystery is a little weak, but I'm intrigued enough to follow it.

Supergirl: Series Premiere 10/26

CONTINUING SHOWS

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Although there was almost too much going on to keep up with, this was an awesome episode and has cemented this season for me - an easy winner for this week's best episode! LOVE the FitzSimmons thread, and cannot wait to find out more about where Simmons was!

Bones:
Premiere Part 2 was even more disappointing than Part 1 - apparently 2-part premieres are the kiss of death for me. Looks like the show will be returning to the favored norm next week though, so I'll give it at least another episode.

Castle: Called it. Not enjoying the Beckett thread, but absolutely loving that Alexis is now Castle's sidekick (and killing it)! My only disappointment: she changed her hair back.

Elementary: Season Premiere 11/5

Fresh Off the Boat: Beanie Babies. Shaq. Customers beating the car dealership. So far the best episode ever, methinks.

Gotham: Finally watched the first two episodes, and they weren't bad. Not quite as twisted as I'd been dreading, although they're certainly dipping their toes in. Ah well. Not crazy about Jim's character growth, but loving Bruce's.

The Great British Baking Show: The youngest is really starting to shine, although so sad about the creative one losing a lot of ground. Always satisfying to see the right person leave, though - it really was time.

iZombie: The zombies are back and just as good as last season! The zombie hunter should prove an interesting twist.

Master Chef Jr.: Season Premiere 11/6

Once Upon a Time: My recording was too broken to watch so I now have to wait until ABC deigns me worthy to watch it online. As one who doesn't have cable, that means waiting until after next week's episode at least, if it'll let me on even then. Why must non-cable watchers who accidentally miss an episode on TV be punished instead of encouraged to catch up online? Makes me want to drop the show.

Person of Interest: Season Premiere Unknown

Scorpion: Although the plot was seriously weak (as they have been so far this season), the story was pretty awesome. Will give it another episode.

DVD

Heroes (Season 4): FINISHED. And now some of the Reborn Episode 1 inside jokes are funny. I have to hand it to the writers concerning Sylar: no matter how disturbing he was, he was still a highly sympathetic character and I couldn't have been happier with his ending. And Peter's, actually. Really hoping for cameos.




Charlie Chan - The Golden Eye: Mom's on a Charlie Chan kick right now and is scouring the libraries for books and movies like this one. From past watches we definitely prefer Sidney Toler as Chan, but since the Son and Birmingham were played by the usual actors it was an entertaining watch.

Charlie Chan in the Secret Service: Sidney Toler, aka the proper Charlie Chan. But the story was actually rather boring, or just really poorly directed. Thankfully it was only an hour long or I wouldn't have made it all the way through.

Charlie's Aunt: A pretty amusing Jack Benny movie where he dresses up like an old aunt and all the hijinks ensue. You can definitely tell it was originally a play though, and I think it would be much funnier on the stage.


So that's it for this week! What did you watch?

No comments:

Post a Comment