Sunday, September 27, 2015

Small Screen Review (9/20/15-9/26/15)



Back for the 2015 fall lineup, it's Small Screen Review!!

I watch quite a bit of telly. More than I should, really. So since I watch as much television as I read books, I thought I should "review" what I watch each week, both television and movies (I only watch movies on DVD at home, long story). Nothing fancy, just a few sentences about what I thought of what I watched. (I'll try to avoid spoilers, but no promises.) Comment with your thoughts on the shows!




NEW SHOWS

Blindspot: Nothing particularly new, but I like the actress and the mystery intrigues me so I'll give it another episode or two.

Grandfathered: Series Premiere 9/29

The Grinder: Series Premiere 9/29

Heroes Reborn: I thought this would be a whole new show with completely different characters (except Bennet and a few cameos), but apparently it's a sequel to the original Heroes. Since I never finished the original show (although I've been bingeing it this summer, see below) I didn't quite understand some things, but on its own Reborn was a little better than I'd expected. Nothing even close to the groundbreaking first season of the original show though, especially since a lot of the powers are repeats. I'll give it a few more episodes.

Last Man Standing: This is a new show for us because this will be the first season we'll be watching live. It wasn't until this summer that we actually watched the first two seasons on DVD, and although we haven't yet seen Season 3 (the library doesn't have it, alas), we decided to add it to the lineup. After this season's first episode we can see we've missed quite a bit, but since it's a comedy it thankfully doesn't matter too much.

Limitless: Sequel to a movie I haven't seen. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but the male actor plus engaging plot rather blew me away. I'll definitely be continuing.

Minority Report: Sequel to a movie I have seen. Surprisingly much better than anticipated, and I like the two lead actors. Will continue.

The Muppets: Much funnier than I'd expected, and now that story about Kermit and Miss Piggy splitting up makes sense. Will continue.

The Player: My most anticipated show, and it did not disappoint! An amazing concept with stellar actors and intense action - already calling it as my favorite show this season. Definitely recommend for Person of Interest fans.

Rosewood: Nothing even remotely new and just not interesting. Barely finished the first episode and won't be continuing.

Supergirl: Series Premiere 10/26

CONTINUING SHOWS

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season Premiere 9/29

Bones: Season Premiere 10/1

Castle: The return of Richard Castle, P.I., plus Alexis as his Girl Friday, saw unending flails from me when Season 8.1 began! And then they brought the whole Beckett conspiracy dead horse back for yet another beating and completely ruined it. Hopefully after the two-part premiere we'll return to the fun I've been praying for.

Elementary: Season Premiere 11/5

Fresh Off the Boat: One of our favorite comedies actually returned! And it's just as good, if not better. Looking forward to the season to come.

Gotham: Pending. Honestly I'm a little wary of all the crazy, but I'm too interested in Bruce's thread to not at least find out what's behind the fireplace.

The Great British Baking Show: PBS actually brought it back! While for some reason this season isn't quite as good as the last one, I'm still enjoying it and only two episodes in already have a few favorites to win.

iZombie: Season Premiere 10/6

Master Chef Jr.: Season Premiere 11/6

Once Upon a Time: Season Premiere 9/27

Person of Interest: Season Premiere Unknown

Scorpion: Still the high-octane thrill-ride I came to know and relatively enjoy last season, but the new character development has already gotten old. Don't know if I'll actually stick with it the entire season, or even another two episodes.

DVD

Heroes (Season 4): Tried to re-watch the entire series this summer before the new Reborn series started, but no dice. I never made it through the fourth and last season when it ran, and pushing through it now I can understand why (they really should've stopped after two seasons). However, since it looks like Reborn is a Heroes sequel I'm more determined than ever to see it through the end.

Perry Mason (Season 7.1): A family favorite. When the sets are cheap we purchase one and watch at our leisure when we need more mellow television.

Poirot (Series 3): One of our favorite British mystery shows, Mother and I are re-watching the entire Poirot series in order. Discovering I enjoy early Poirot much more than late Poirot, and I just adore Miss Lemon - I wish she had been his traveling assistant and not bumbling Hastings.




I, Robot: Felt like a re-watch. It was actually better than I remembered, although I'd forgotten about all the language. Discovered a scene I'd thought was in Minority Report (but surprisingly wasn't when I looked some time ago) was actually in this movie instead! Mystery accidentally solved.


So that's it for this week! What did you watch?

1 comment:

  1. I had forgotten about Heroes Reborn - I did watch the full Heroes series, so I'd like to see the sequel.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete